You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Please note that effective 01/01/2019 the TRICARE Retiree Dental program is no longer available. For information on the new dental and vision plan offered please visit tricare.benefeds.com.
For questions regarding claims processed by Delta Dental for TRDP please contact 1-888-838-8737. Delta Dental staff are available Monday-Friday until April 30th, 2019. Effective May 1st only the automated phone system will be available. Delta Dental will continue to process TRDP claims until December 31st, 2018.
TRICARE offers a voluntary dental insurance program called the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). FEDVIP offers 10 dental and 4 vision carriers to choose from. Questions on dental claims, enrollment, and coverage should be directed to them.
Who is Eligible for FEDVIP?
- Retired services members and their families who were eligible for the TRICARE Retiree Dental Plan (TRDP) are eligible to enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan. They are also eligible to enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan if enrolled in a TRICARE Health plan.
- Family members of active duty services member who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan can enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan.
- Children enrolled in or eligible for TRICARE Young Adult are not eligible for FEDVIP.
If you're not sure if you can enroll in FEDVIP, use the FEDVIP Eligibility Tool. This tool will allow you to check to see if you're eligible for FEDVIP dental, vision, or both.
TRICARE breaks dental care into two major categories:
Routine and Adjunctive Dental Care
See below for a description of the Routine and Adjunctive Dental Care, along with a description of the Oral Surgery Benefits.
Routine Dental Care
Covers cleaning, preventative dental care, bridge work, Orthodontia, root canal, cavities, dental emergencies and dentures.
Routine dental care is not a covered service under your TRICARE For Life medical benefit. For information about the FEDVIP and to enroll, please visit tricare.benefeds.com.
Adjunctive Dental Care
Adjunctive Dental Care is dental care which is medically necessary in the treatment of an otherwise covered medical (not dental) condition, is an integral part of the treatment of such medical condition and is essential to the control of the primary medical condition; or, is required in preparation for, or as the result of, dental trauma which may be or is caused by medically necessary treatment of an injury or disease (iatrogenic). Under limited circumstances, the TRICARE For Life medical benefit may cover only when it is a necessary part of other medical care that is covered.
There are certain oral surgical procedures that are performed by both physicians and dentists, and that are essentially medical rather than dental care. For the purpose of TRICARE For Life, the following procedures whether performed by a physician or dentist, are considered to be in this category and benefits may be extended for otherwise covered services and supplies:
- Excision of tumors and cysts of the jaws, cheeks, lips, tongue, and roof and floor of the mouth, when such conditions require a pathological examination.
- Surgical procedures required to correct accidental injuries of the jaws, cheeks, lips, tongue, and roof and floor of the mouth.
- Treatment of oral or facial cancer.
- Treatment of fractures of facial bones.
- External (extra-oral) incision and drainage of cellulitis. (Inflammation of the skin.)
- Surgery of accessory sinuses, salivary glands, or ducts.
- Reduction of dislocations and excision of the temporomandibular joints, when surgery is a necessary part of the reduction.
- Any oral surgical procedure that falls within the cosmetic, reconstructive, or plastic surgery definition is subject to preauthorization guidelines.